This giving season, you can make human rights protections more accessible by making a donation to IJRC. We appreciate your contribution, of any amount.
Online Resource Hub
Keep informed of developments in human rights
- Read our regular news updates on human rights conditions, legal and policy developments, and the activities of human rights oversight bodies in the News Room and in the IJRC Daily.
- Visit the calendar for information on upcoming Hearings and Events held by international human rights institutions and organizations.
- Watch the IJRC Interview Series showcasing the work of human rights defenders around the world.
Learn about human rights law and mechanisms
- Overview of the Human Rights Framework, explaining the relationship between, and motivations behind, the various human rights tribunals and oversight mechanisms
- Human Rights Courts & Monitoring Bodies, including in the:
- Universal System, describing the United Nations-sponsored mechanisms relevant to human rights, with sub-sections on the International Court of Justice, UN Treaty Bodies, UN Special Procedures and International Labour Organization
- Regional Systems, explaining the regional human rights mechanisms established in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Middle East and North Africa
- National Systems, explaining the ways in which human rights can be enforced at the national level, with sub-sections on Domestic Prosecutions and Civil Suits, Domestic Exercise of Universal Jurisdiction, National Human Rights Institutions, and Truth and Reconciliation Commissions
- Related Areas of Law
- International Criminal Law, explaining the intersections between international human rights law and international humanitarian and criminal law, with sub-sections on the International Criminal Court, ICTY, ICTR and Internationalized Criminal Courts
- International Humanitarian Law: also known as the laws of war and the law of armed conflict, this body of law provides the framework applicable to situations of armed conflict and occupation.
- Refugee Law, explaining the international law governing asylum and refugee claims, and its relationship to international human rights protection, as well as to national immigration policies
- Courts and Tribunals of Regional Economic Communities: In addition to the various regional and universal human rights mechanisms established exclusively and specifically for the promotion and protection of human rights, a number of other dispute settlement bodies – often related to economic integration initiatives – may decide cases involving individuals’ and communities’ fundamental rights.
Get research and advocacy guidance
- International Advocacy Guides, providing detailed explanations of how to engage with supranational human rights monitoring bodies
- Research Aids, including our downloadable Research Guide, providing original analysis and links to external sources, with the following sub-sections:
- Forum Selector, an interactive survey allowing users to determine if, and before which complaints mechanisms, a particular case could be brought based on the timing, location, and nature of the alleged violation (under development)