Online Resource Hub
Keep informed of developments in human rights
- Read our regular news updates on human rights conditions, legal and policy developments, and the activities of human rights oversight bodies in the News Room and in the IJRC Daily.
- Visit the calendar for information on upcoming Hearings and Events held by international human rights institutions and organizations.
Learn about human rights law and mechanisms
- Universal System, describing the United Nations-sponsored mechanisms relevant to human rights, with sub-sections on the International Court of Justice, UN Treaty Bodies, UN Special Procedures and International Labour Organization
- Regional Systems, explaining the regional human rights mechanisms established in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Middle East and North Africa
- National Systems, explaining the ways in which human rights can be enforced at the national level, with sub-sections on Domestic Prosecutions and Civil Suits, Domestic Exercise of Universal Jurisdiction, National Human Rights Institutions, and Truth and Reconciliation Commissions
- Related Areas of Law
- International Criminal Law, explaining the intersections between international human rights law and international humanitarian and criminal law, with sub-sections on the International Criminal Court, ICTY, ICTR and Internationalized Criminal Courts
- International Humanitarian Law: also known as the laws of war and the law of armed conflict, this body of law provides the framework applicable to situations of armed conflict and occupation.
- Refugee Law, explaining the international law governing asylum and refugee claims, and its relationship to international human rights protection, as well as to national immigration policies
- Courts and Tribunals of Regional Economic Communities: In addition to the various regional and universal human rights mechanisms established exclusively and specifically for the promotion and protection of human rights, a number of other dispute settlement bodies – often related to economic integration initiatives – may decide cases involving individuals’ and communities’ fundamental rights.
Get research and advocacy guidance
- Research Aids, including our downloadable Research Guide, providing original analysis and links to external sources, with the following sub-sections:
- Forum Selector, an interactive survey allowing users to determine if, and before which complaints mechanisms, a particular case could be brought based on the timing, location, and nature of the alleged violation (under development)
Reader feedback is encouraged to make these resources as useful as possible. For other updates and developments, join IJRC on Twitter and Facebook.